Chargrilled prime beef burger, fennel coleslaw (served with triple cooked chips)
MAKES 5 BURGERS
- 1kg mix (mince on a medium mincer)
- 270g minced lean rump
- 265g minced jacobs ladder (or neck)
- 265g minced rib cap
- 200g minced suet
- 5 brioche buns (toasted)
- Lettuce and tomato garnish
- Mustard mayo (in squeezy bottle)
- Tomato relish (in squeezy bottle)
- Deep fried onions
- Pickled cucumber
- Salt and pepper mill
- Take the minced meat and form into burgers in a burger mould (10cm diameter), reserve and refrigerate.
- When ready to grill the burger season well with sea salt and black pepper as with a steak. Pour a little sunflower oil on the burgers, place the burgers in the charcoal oven and cook to the required degree.
- Arrange the toasted burger buns onto the plates, place the lettuce and tomatoes on. Place the burger on, top with the tomato relish, mustard mayo, fried onions and cucumber.
- Serve with the triple cooked chips and fennel coleslaw.
Tomato relish ingredients (1 litre – serves 20/30)
- 260g onion (chopped finely)
- 1k ripe plum tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 red chilli (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 pinches of salt
- 8 pinches sugar
- 700ml passata
- 1 lime
- Sweat the onion, garlic and chilli down slowly until golden.
- Add the tomatoes and passata, salt and cook out until the mixture becomes thick. Add the lime juice.
- Pass through a course strainer.
- Make sure that it is of ketchup consistency.
- Pour in to a squeezy bottle.
Mustard mayonnaise ingredients (serves 20/30)
- 500ml mayonnaise
- 115ml Colemans English mustard
- 5g mustard powder
- 20ml Worcestershire sauce
- 20ml lemon juice
- Place the ingredients in a bowl and mix together and pour in to a squeezy bottle.
Fennel coleslaw ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 bulbs fennel
- 50g mayonnaise
- 50g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the fennel bulbs into quarters and remove the core at a slight angle. Slice very finely using a sharp knife, mandoline or run through the food processor.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise with the Greek yoghurt and the English mustard. Mix in well and stir the white wine vinegar through.
- Place the sliced fennel into the bowl and use your hands to coat the fennel with the dressing.
- Scatter the fennel seeds over and season well with salt and freshly ground
- Serve immediately.