Balinese pork stew with pak choi & rice
- 1kg half pork shoulder & half neck of pork in 2cm cube
- 2tbsp coconut oil
- 100g sliced shallots
- 60g finely sliced garlic
- 50g finely grated ginger
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (not light)
- 2 red chillies finely chopped
- 10 turns of the pepper mill
- 1ltr chicken stock
- Handful of crispy onions to garnish
- In a medium heavy saucepan, add the shallots and garlic. Fry until lightly coloured. Remove and place to the side.
- In the same hot pan, colour the pork 500g at a time, in hot coconut oil until golden.
- Put all meat, shallots and garlic back into the pan then add ginger, black pepper and soy sauces. Reduce the juices by half.
- Pour in 3/4 of the chicken stock, add the chillies and simmer for 1-1 ½ hours without a lid, add more stock as needed.
Pak choi ingredients
- 4 medium sized pak choi
- 2 bulbs garlic, sliced
- 1 star anise
- Pinch sea salt
- 25ml rapeseed oil
- Drop the star anise, oil and garlic in just enough boiling water, with a good pinch of salt and cook for a minute until tender, but still green and vibrant.
- Remove from the pan drain well.
Boiled rice ingredients
- 100g basmati rice
- 200ml water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 clove of garlic
- Put the rice in a small pan and add slightly under double water to rice. Add a pinch of salt and the clove of garlic, then bring to the boil.
- Place on the lid and simmer gently until most of the water has disappeared, then turn on to a very low light and leave for 10 minutes to
form a fluffy pad of rice.